Friday, April 3, 2009

Under My Umbrella

Today's Wonder of the World is...the Umbrella!

Flickr photo by Just Ree
Hooray for the lowly bumbershoot, the gamp, the brolly!

If April showers really do bring May flowers, I should go ahead now and buy a bunch of extra vases. It's been soaking us silly around here. Tanner's having a blast but my house smells like wet dog.

If we Ramseys actually had an umbrella, instead of planting them like seeds all over Greenville County, the poor thing would need a vacation at a blue sky beach in Belize.

It'd probably look like Grandpa's here.

Flickr photo by PrincessBuddha
I don't know why that photo makes me so happy but I love it.
Of course that umbrella funnel wouldn't make me hee-haw if we were going someplace fancy and had planned on using it, but since ours are all lost, I'll never get to experience that. Also, we rarely go anywhere fancy.
Maybe it's because we smell like wet dog.

If I lived in Murree, Pakistan, I'd want to spend my days working at this GORGEOUS roadside umbrella stand.

Flickr photo by aamirchoudhry

I don't just like looking at umbrellas. I like using them too, spinning them in the rain before I lose them.
Of course I wouldn't need one if there were more umbrella trees to stand under.

Flickr photo by globevisions
(Provided there's no lightning, of course. My life is shocking enough.)

If I was a Borrower, I'd stand under one of these instead.

Flickr photo by Nina

Parasols are fun too, especially one as pretty as this.

Flickr photo by yewenyi

Do you know the difference between a parasol and an umbrella?
(Of course you do, but just play along.)
The word parasol comes from para (against) and sol (sun.) So a parasol keeps out the sun, while an umbrella keeps you dry in the rain. I know this is probably obvious but I mention it anyway because it leads me to the French word for umbrella: parapluie
Para (against) + Pluie (rain) = umbrella.
Sorry if you've dozed off. I just love it when my world makes sense.

Know what else helps my world make sense?
Pretty little parasols in a pretty little drink!

Flickr photo by Kim Naumann
Such colors! I'd like to frame that photo and put it in my laundry room!
(This is not a slight, Kim Naumann. I only put art I LOVE in my laundry room to lure me in there. Seriously. My laundry room is inspiring.)

Some of you might prefer this kind of umbrella art.

Flickr photo by maios
Very fun. It's part of a sculpture by George Zogopoulos in Thessaloniki, Greece.

Speaking of umbrella art by men named George, have you seen Georges Seurat's umbrellas?


I'm not the only one who loves his work. Some people love it so much they try to reinact it!

Flickr photo by OldOnliner
Cool, huh?
If any of those people were friends of mine, I'd buy them this umbrella.


You might not be familiar with Georges Seurat, but I bet you'll recognize this umbrella art.

Flickr photo by canardo
It might not be fine art, but people still like to reenact it. Click here to see what I mean.

Have a wonder-full weekend, y'all!
Before you go, enjoy this umbrella scene from Singing In the Rain! (See, Gene Kelly is an umbrella planter too!)



Love, Becky

17 comments:

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Becky ! this is a wonderful post,I love it.The colors of the umbrellas are spectacular.I love all your photos.Isn't that Granpa cute with the inside out brella.He does bring a smile to your fave.Now here yesterday,I thought I was going to flood away.It was such bad weather down here in Miss.You take care and stay dry XXOO Marie Antionette

Unknown said...

LOL! I totally got caught up in the link that you provided to the artist's choice umbrellas (I need a new umbrella; mine broke) and I am in the process of ordering the pink flower blossom umbrella online right now when I came back to this post and realized I forgot to comment! (how's that for a run on sentence!?)
Oh, so, thanks for the reminder that I needed an umbrella and the link, LOL!

Stacy Nyikos said...

I love the umbrella art, and the grandpa picture. Awesome post. I almost want it to rain again, but only almost!!

Susan said...

I love umbrellas, but I can't stand for someone else to hold it for me. I get claustrophobic. I must hold it myself. I also have always wanted an umbrella hat.

Kat said...

I LOVE that top shot! Awesome!
And can I just say how much I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Gene Kelly? My favorite!!!

Adrienne said...

That Seurat reinactment is fun.

Maybe you guys should settle for bright yellow slickers with hoods. They're probably harder to lose :)

Anonymous said...

Ah, Singing in the Rain--you made me smile today. And I was pleased to see you didn't forget the drink umbrellas:)

David Ebright said...

OK - So maybe I can't appreciate the artsy side of umbrellas. Maybe I am a hard head & prefer to walk in the rain without one. "I ain't made of sugar - I won't melt." (Used that one the other day while wimpy Deb was trying to protect her hair from a wimpy drizzle.)

I DO like watching out of breath pale-skinned beachgoers chase their umbrellas down the beach on a windy day. Very entertaining. Cruel maybe, but very funny.

Felicity said...

Oh, Gene Kelly how I love you singing this song and doing this dance!

I hate that I can only find stylish, cute umbrellas when I'm shopping for something else. On the rainy day when I actually go into a store looking for the umbrellas I can only find old-man black!

Suzie said...

I do love a drink with an umberlla in it

CC said...

It's funny. We live in the rain capital of the country, but no one here ever uses an umbrella. too much of a hastle!

judy in ky said...

Such fabulous photos! I love the roadside stand and the umbrella tree, and the umbrella art and the umbrella sculpture. And the little umbrella photo. (Heck, I guess I just about love them all!) I love drinks with umbrellas. There is something so fun and vacationy about them!
Ever since I took high school French I have loved the word parapluie.
And you topped it all off with one of my favorite movie scenes of all time.... so charming!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

I'm so glad that y'all enjoyed the umbrella pics. And Judy, singing in the rain is one of my favorites. I can't get enough of Gene Kelly's dancing.

Jaxpop, you are too funny. I can just imagine you watching the tourists running after the umbrellas!

Oh, and Susan, I agree. I must hold my own umbrella. I hate being half in, half out, or getting stuck in the side of the head with one of the spoke ends!

May Vanderbilt said...

I love all words for the contraption. It's as though we all agree how darling they are: umbrella, brolly, parapluie.

I wish I could tell you how happy I am after watching Singin' in the Rain. Wow, I love that musical.

Thanks for the bright spot today :)

Angela K. Nickerson said...

Next time you are in Chicago, you can see the Seurat in person. It's at the Art Institute. But the Windy City is hell on umbrellas!

Thanks, as always, for the great photos!

Just Ree said...

Haha thanks for using my umbrella photo :D

rualev said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eeQE0Qy-xI ...you might love this too...